The Culinary Job Training program is a 14-week, nationally recognized initiative aimed at assisting unemployed adults – who are homeless, receiving public assistance, and/or previously incarcerated persons – in acquiring the skills necessary to begin culinary careers. During the fourteen weeks of training, students participate in four intensive courses that focus on culinary skills, food safety, employment readiness, and self-empowerment.
Culinary skills include:
- The fundamentals of kitchen operations and the efficient use and care of commercial kitchen equipment
- Essential cooking methods, including roasting, grilling, deep fat frying, broiling, and sautéing
- Food Prep and Garde Manger skills, including knife cuts, vegetable preparation, dry goods, salads, and dressings
- The preparation of stocks, sauces, and soups
- Experience with high volume food production: assisting with the preparation of approximately 5,000 meals daily for over 100 metro-area social service agencies
- The National Restaurant Association’s Food Protection Manager’s Certification Course (ServSafe)
Why employers partner with DC Central Kitchen:
- Graduates are perfect entry level candidates because they are dependable, well trained, and dedicated to enhancing their culinary skills.
- DC Central Kitchen has over 15 years of training experience and is recognized as one of the best job training programs in the District.
- DC Central Kitchen is a model program replicated nationwide.
Current Employers Include:
- Eurest Dining Services at the Convention Center
- National Institutes of Health
- DC Public Schools
- Fairmont Hotel
- McCormick & Schmick’s
- Fiesta in a Box Catering
- Holiday Inn Capitol Hill
- Armed Forces Retirement Home
- Gaylord National Resort
- Venable Law Firm
- Upper Crust Pizzeria
- Old Ebbit Grille
We would love for you to join this list!
Contact Ashley Minton, firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-234-0707 x143